Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Well, I finally took the plunge! I've officially started a blog. I never thought I would do a blog because who really wants to hear what I have to say! Just recently I found a VERY good reason to begin a blog though-Adoption! Yes, that's right-my husband, Travis, and I are beginning the adoption process. It has been a long and painful road to get us to this point, but God has been directing our path (Proverbs 3:5-6) toward this for over a year now. And I am so excited to be able to document our journey to our son or daughter.

I guess I should explain how we got to this point. I mentioned that it has been a long and painful road, and unfortunately, too many people will be able to relate or empathize with us. It all started January 18, 2010 to be exact, when Travis, our son, Landon, and I went to our first prenatal appointment in which we expected to hear our baby's heartbeat since I was 11 weeks and 2 days. When my doctor couldn't find the heartbeat and reassured us that everything was fine but the baby was just too small and moved too much then the worry really started setting in. My doctor sent us over for an ultrasound to put our minds at ease and that is where everything went downhill. The tech informed us while performing the u/s that I was pregnant with twins but neither baby was moving nor had a heartbeat. We were told later that our babies passed away 2-3 weeks prior because that is where their development stopped. Of course we were devastated. Our unspoken desire was to have multiples and then to find that we were pregnant with twins was amazing but made it that much more difficult to digest since that dream, which was almost a reality, had turned into my worst nightmare. So, my doctor wanted to do a D&C since there was more than one baby to ensure that everything came out. I had to go about my life as though everything were fine for 3 days before I had my babies taken from me. It was difficult to go for so long before the procedure knowing that our babies weren't alive, but it was also comforting to still have them with me. I know that sounds strange but it was comforting to rub my tummy and know they were there with me. I felt very empty once the surgery was over...different and yet the same. **I suppose I should have prefaced all of this with saying that God was our constant source of strength throughout the entire day and weeks/months following the miscarriage. This experience was the first time in my life where I have felt Jesus carrying me. He carried me for months, well He has been carrying me up until the last couple of months to be honest, as I've been too weak. His grace truly is sufficient (2 Cor 12:9)**
So, I ended up having the D&C and had complications from that and so 4 days later I had another D&C. As the months went on it seemed as though there had been too much damage done to my uterus to ever get pregnant again. We did find out though, through waiting, that everything should be okay. In that time though, God was really working on my heart and my husband's heart. We really felt lead to adopt to grow our family. It was hard to get to that point of being excited to adopt because it meant that I had to let go of my dreams and plans to have 4 children...plans that I'd had in my head since I was a little girl. I was faced with not being able to do something so basic and something that God made women to do-have children-and it devastated me. Through the tears and prayers and just crying out to God, He did give me a peace about not getting pregnant and expanding our family through adoption. Though it wasn't quite the right timing for us then....

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear more info, Ellen!!!!! We are journeying through our own adoption right now, and know that I will be praying for you!!!! PLEASE let me know if I can be a source of info or encouragement to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you guys, Ellen!! Adoption has always been close to my heart, after having 2 friends from high school place their babies up for adoption, and watching them sacrifice the greatest gift for the greater good--and such an incredible picture of what Christ has done for us.
    I still pray that maybe someday God will use our family in that way. I heard a neat story the other day that I'll have to tell you sometime, but it would take too long in this comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it! I love the blog! We are very excited to walk along this path with you and see what God does through this journey of your lives!! We care deeply for you all!! Will be praying you through~so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen - I'm really looking forward to following your blog and excited to follow along in your adoption quest. I truly believe that a blog can be for the writer even more than for the readers. It will be a wonderful way to record your journey and maybe will even provide some healing. And yes - I'm one of those moms who can personally relate to your experience in losing a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you, Ell, and can't wait to follow along here with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! Pam-I've been praying for you and Nate as you bring home your children from Ethiopia...so exciting!! Katie-thank you! And you'll have to email that story sometime...I'd love to hear! Aff-thanks hun! Sara-you are so right! This is already providing some healing for me! Glad you are following our journey. Ames-love you too! My blog doesn't hold a candle to yours yet but I'm so glad that you are following!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellen welcome to the blog world! So amazing to see the journey God has you on. I still remember sitting at Starbucks and talking lose, life and adoption. So amazing to see God's hand in your journey! Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete